Wednesday, June 08, 2005

When NDNs Disappear

I've been on a road trip. About 3,000 miles total since May 31 and over 600 miles today alone. Yes, I'm a little tired.

I saw a lot of Indians. A family running a taco franchise on the Cheyenne rez right by the dialysis clinic, a well dressed guy in the Bill Clinton museum wearing tasteful turquoise earrings. And Albuquerque. Well, let's just say Albuquerque's full of ndns. That's one of the reasons I now call Albuquerque home.

That's right. No more New York City. I am now a resident of the Duke City.

I also saw many a remarkable Indian..thing. A little cartoon "running Indian" logo at a gas station. Lots and lots of dolls, feathers and moccasins in Oklahoma, which, btw, is "Native America", so their license plates say. (New York's say "The Empire State". What do you think that means?) A number of roadside Indian "museums", replete with tipi. (May I say again my peeps never lived in tipis, nor did many tribes. Once again, the Plains Indians steal the spotlight.)

And so now you know what happens when Indians disappear; they hit the road. But now I'm back and shall return to normal blogging. Once I get some serious sleep.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Glad you made it there safely.

Who are the supporters of the Indian Museums? Why do you think they have their stories screwed up?

10:07 AM  
Blogger The Marigold Trail said...

Yup, and found a great place to live. 2 bdrm, backyard, washer/dryer, etc. And all for less than half of what I was paying in NYC. Plus it's just beautiful here. You gotta come visit!

And those roadside museums are more like tourist traps, selling faux ndn shlock to the uninformed. They just use the word museum I think to make themselves sound more respectable.

1:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home