Thursday, April 14, 2005

Ty Pennington's comin' to the Rez

I watch the ABC show Extreme Makeover: Home Edition. Or at least I used to. Before the cheese and sap level threatened to drown me in a sea of disabled children and weeping widowers being saved by earnest white designers. Now don't get me wrong. The show does good things. It's just, well, can't they do them without the maudlin soundtrack and human interest backstory? Just tell me these people are broke and need a house. I'll understand and I'll be appropriately excited. Who wouldnt want a new house?

But I digress. The news I wanted to share is it looks like Extreme Makeover is coming to the rez! The Navajo Nation, to be exact. They will be building a new home for Lori Piestewa. Piestewa was the Hopi woman who was the first female soldier killed in Iraq, and despite my cynicism at the presentation of the show, I cannot think of a more deserving family (see photo). The show will also be rebuilding the Navajo Nation Veterans Office. All very cool.

The Piestewa episode, which is also the season finale, will air Sunday, May 22, and 8pm EST. Mark your calendars and get a fresh box of kleenex ready. You're gonna need it.

4 Comments:

Blogger Sylvana said...

I really like shows like that, ones with a purpose of helping people who really need it. I'm really big on Town Haul, too. I think in Town Haul they are fairly sensitive about leaving the people with their dignity, but they still can still go a little over board at times.
I think that it's great that Ty's show is doing this. But the little cynical part of me says, "Would they have even considered the reservation if she weren't a war hero?" Oh, I really hate that little voice sometimes.
I really like that they made it the season finale though. Very fitting. I definitely want to see that one.

11:47 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Damn I had no idea you was such a hater. Good stuff.

I agree this is a good idea for them. I don't watch home make over shows but if there is any one that deserves this is't this woman.

3:28 PM  
Blogger The Marigold Trail said...

Sylvana -

Listen to your little voice. It is wise. :)

4:09 PM  
Blogger The Marigold Trail said...

Hey Doc

I'm not a hater. I don't hate the players, I hate the game.

Marigold ;)

4:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home