Saturday, August 20, 2005

An Indian Lawyer's Creed

*Yawn* Good morning, all.

These are the words that get me up on a Saturday morning and make me drag myself to the library. The duty is kicking in, so that I may be worthy of the honor.

An Indian Lawyer's Creed

I am an Indian Lawyer, a briefcase warrior. I stand between Indian people and those who would do them harm. The warrior’s role is a duty and an honor.

I defend the few resources that have not been taken from us so Indian people may survive.

I defend the land and air and water on and off the reservations so all people may learn to live in harmony with the Creator’s work.

I defend the right of Indian people to govern them, worship as the choose, and return their dead to the earth.

I will not use my skills against Indian people no matter how wrong I believe them to be. We suffer enough without causing each other to suffer.

I will not use unethical methods in the practice of law because that would dishonor the people I represent.

I will not accept fees from Indian people beyond my needs. If I receive fees from other people beyond my needs, I will remember that a wealthy Indian is one who can quickly forget duty and honor.

Whether I practice or teach of hold office, I will always remember the duty of an elder to share knowledge with young men and women who aspire to be warriors.

I am an Indian lawyer, a briefcase warrior. I stand between Indian people and those who would do them harm. When I do this, I being honor to my tribe, my clan, and myself.

- Steve Russell, Asst. Prof. Of Criminal Justice, University of Texas at San Antonio, President of Texas Indian Bar Assn.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home